Effective 01st March 2017, Cobalt will accept carriage of live animals on permitted routes. Only domestic dogs, cats, birds, are accepted for travel in the passenger cabin of our aircraft. Animals which do not meet the requirements for transportation in the aircraft cabin may be accepted for carriage in the holds provided a suitable compartment is available for transportation of live animals (heating, air ventilation).
Pets in the cabin
Cats or small dogs and birds in the cabin may be permitted under the following conditions:
- The animal must be in a suitable, leak-proof lockable cage and remain in its container throughout the entire flight.
- The cage shall have an auxiliary small door through which the animal shall be serviced during the flight.
- The container plus the animal must not weight more than 8 kgs The Pet cage must be no larger than 55cm n length, 40cm in height and 23cm in width to fit the space under the seat.
- The container /cage MUST remain on the floor throughout the flight and cannot be placed on a passenger seat at any time.
- The seat assigned for this purpose shall be a window seat, so that when the cage/ bag is placed/secured under the seat, so access to the aisle is not restricted for any of the occupants of that seat row.
- Pets must be accompanied by their owners and agreed to be seated in the rear rows of the aircraft.
- The owner must have all necessary documentations and health book ready for inspection at the check-in. (i.e. ID micro chip, Pet Passport, anti-rabies vaccination etc.).
- Pet and kennel must meet hygiene-conditions (i.e. clean and odor free).
- The animal must be minimum 105 days old in order to be accepted for transportation.
The cost of Pets in the cabin is 40 Euro please call the call centre for more info.
Exception: United Kingdom regulations forbid the carriage of animals whether inbound or outbound and must be carried as cargo.
Animals in the Hold
If pets do not meet the standards for carriage in the aircraft cabin, may be accepted in the hold, on the same flight as their owner.
Container-requirements for transporting animals in the holds
- The transport container must be large enough for the animal to stand in its natural position, to turn around and to lie down.
- The transport container must be designed to be leakproof, e.g. lined with absorbent material such as blankets.
- The container must be escape proof. We recommend sturdy plastic or wood containers made from the harmless and non-toxic material. Wire-mesh cages are not allowed.
- To prevent the animal from injuring itself, the interior of the container must not have any sharp corners, edges or nails.
- If the container has castors or wheels, these must be removed.
- Food and water bowls (empty) must be attached to the inside of the container. The material must be harmless and non-toxic.
- Transport containers must have ventilation holes on at least three sides.
- The owner must have all necessary documentations and book ready for inspection at the check-in. (i.e ID microchip, Pet Passport, anti-rabies vaccination etc )
- Practically, the animal must be minimum 105 days old in order to be accepted for transportation.
- The container and the animal must not exceed 32kg weight.
Fixed charges apply for the carriage of Animals in Hold ( AVIH ), to be paid directly at the airport.
If the weight of the container plus the animal is between 9 – 25 kgs: EUR 70
If the weight of the container plus the animal is between 26 – 32 kgs: EUR 130
IMPORTANT NOTE: Animals that exceed 32kgs can only be accepted as Cargo. For more information please refer to the below website and contacts:
Cyprus tel: 00357- 22008300
UK tel: 0044 (0) 2034327828
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Bull Terrier (Miniature Bull Terriers are not considered fighting dogs)
- American Bulldog
- Caucasian Ovcharka (Caucasian Shepherd Dog)
- Dogo Argentino Karabash (Kangal Dog) (Anatolian Shepherd Dog)
Snub –Nosed Animals
Snub-nosed dogs and cats are not hot-weather animals and have difficulty in regulating a normal body temperature in hot weather; therefore, these animals are very sensitive to heat and suffer of respiratory and breeding problems.
These respiratory problems can be increased under high-stress situations.
As a precaution, Cobalt will not accept them as checked baggage or as air cargo due to their inability to breathe easily and cool themselves down.
Certain snub-nosed breeds may be allowed for Pet in Cabin transportation, if they meet the criteria. Please refer to Cobalt Air call center for more details.
The following embargo list of brachycephalic dog/cat breeds is applicable on Cobalt Flights:
Affenpinscher, American Bully, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boston Terrier, Boxer (All breeds), Brussels Griffon, Bulldog (All breeds), Cane Corso, Chow Chow, Dogue De Bordeaux, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Chin, Lhasa Apso, Mastiff (All breeds), Pekingese, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Pug (All breeds), Shar Pei, Shih Tzu, Staffordshire Terrier, Tibetan Spaniel
Burmese, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan, Persian
Officially designated Guide-dogs for the Blind or Deaf passengers may be carried in the cabin on permitted routes, free of charge. Advance arrangements need to be made, at the time of booking. The dog must be a trained Guide dog. Before embarkation dogs must be fitted with a muzzle provided by the owner and shall wear a standard identifying jacket or harness throughout the journey.
Passengers traveling with an official guide dog shall carry a valid Pets Passport or third country official veterinary certificate (plus required medical documentation) on all EU/EEA flights. Cobalt cannot accept liability for any guide dogs that are incorrectly documented.
A Guide dog traveling in the aircraft cabin must remain at the owner’s feet on an absorbent pad, provided by the owner, and not block the aisle.
Note: Failure to pre-advice the Company may result in the service being unavailable on arrival at the airport and the passenger being unable to travel on their booked flight.